Smart Havens Africa
Pathway to Homeownership for women
Smart Havens Africa is seeking a Finance Manager to continue to build the operational, financial, and human capital foundation for the organization to go to the next level. In addition to being the primary leader for the financial domains of the organization, the Finance Manager would have multiple direct reports and play a key role in managing the team.
People / HR
Location: Kampala Uganda
Deadline for application: Open until Position is filled
Smart Havens Africa is seeking a A Marketing Manager to grow SHA by developing and selling
Our Affordable Homes and Projects to Prospective Homeowners,leading corporations and major foundations
The Marketing Manager will own SHA’s sales and fundraising strategy. This means you are responsible for developing, cultivating, and securing partnerships with corporations, foundations, governments, and individuals.
You will report to and work closely with Anne K Rweyora, SHA’s Managing Director, to build relationships, cultivate leads, and close partnerships with major funders. You will also work with the Director of Investments and Operations to ensure there is alignment with marketing and communications, strategic direction, and program implementation.
You will be a key face of the organization, will represent the organization externally in many contexts, and you will be, for many people, their first touchpoint with SHA. This means you must love building relationships with people, are skilled at building rapport with the people you meet, and recognize the importance of planting and tending to the seeds of new relationships.
Own the revenue/funding function of SHA, including:
● Manage and cultivate inbound sales and partnership inquiries.
● Identify and cultivate prospects (corporations, foundations, governments, and especially high net worth individuals) who would be a good fit to Support SHA programs & services.
● Pitch / develop proposals with prospects, seeing them through to close & contract.
● Build out a reliable business development process (stages, collateral etc) and back-end systems.
● Coordinate with the Executive team to ensure SHA’s funding/revenue sources are aligned with the organization’s strategic plan.
● (Eventually) architect & build a small team to scale your work. Act as an external face and key ambassador for the SHA brand and mission to external stakeholders.
Actively contribute to the design/redesign of SHA’s programs, initiatives, and new services/products.
● You have 5+ years experience in business development OR major gifts / individual fundraising or sponsorships. Ideally you started out as a one-person sales-team for a startup and/or you have led fundraising or major gifts for a growing social enterprise nonprofit, then built upon that success by building out a sales/fundraising team around
you. You can speak to how you, specifically, have cultivated leads, build trust, closed deals, codified processes, and trained others to do the same.
○ You have built and refined sales processes based on your own experience taking products to market. You understand the boring, methodical systems and follow-up needed to do sales well, and you can demonstrate how you’ve invested the time and effort to build this successful “back-office.”
○ If you’ve only been part of a much larger sales team, where you’ve been given a list of leads to cultivate, that will probably not be sufficient experience.
● You have a grasp of the social innovation landscape. Either from direct experience or due to personal interest, you have a finger on the pulse of social innovation, CSR, philanthropy or other related fields of impact.
● You have experience in a leadership capacity in a fast-growing, quickly-evolving organization. We’re looking for someone who has been an entrepreneurial, revenue-focused leader of an emerging organization that has helped them make a major leap to a new level of organizational size and impact. You have led and managed through uncertainty and you are comfortable with taking risks.
● You have experience in product/program development. SHA has found success in selling its programs and fundraising for its initiatives, but there is still further product development to be done, and you will help us further define and develop our product.This means we’re looking for someone who has had experience refining, developing,
prototyping, and testing products/services in the market.
● You are an owner as well as a builder. We’re not just looking for a delegator. We’re looking for someone who wants their fingerprints all over the future trajectory of our organization by rolling up their sleeves, doing the work,thinking strategically, and setting up the processes, infrastructure, and systems to take SHA to the next level. This means that you’re constantly shifting altitudes between designing and doing,between strategizing and operating.
● You are an exceptional listener, and are not afraid to speak the truth. On a scale of 1-10, you’re an 11 with your listening skills. But when the time comes, you are also ready to speak up. You can speak to your ability and experience in managing-up.
● Do I need to be an extrovert?
○ No! Introverts can make some of the best salespeople.
● Will I have people that I will be managing?
○ Not right away, but it’s possible we will grow the sales-team in the future. There isn’t a timeline for this yet.
● Was someone in this role before? Or is this a new role?
○ This is a new role. Anne K Rweyora, the CEO,and Will Broad ,The Investments Director have been doing all the fundraising and sales up to this point. They will still be involved in fundraising and sales, but this role is new and is intended to be the first exclusively-focused business development / fundraising role for the organization.
● What does my career path look like?
○ We’re a fast-growing and evolving organization, which means there isn’t a tried-and-true career progression track.In all likelihood, you will build and lead a business development team (meaning you’ll hire people to join your team) and you’ll be one of the major catalysts in taking SHA to the next level of impact, influence, and size.
● Where can I be based?
○ Kampala Uganda. Exceptional candidates who cannot relocate from other regions should still apply,We accept Working remotely for this role.
● Isn’t SHA a for profit Social enterprise? Will I be doing sales or fundraising?
○ Yes, we are a a for profit Social enterprise, but we realize that whether our prospect is using philanthropic dollars or non-philanthropic dollars, we are selling the product of impact to them. We transact dollars for impact, and that impact needs to be productized and defined so people understand the impact return on their financial capital. This means you might be selling to individuals, corporations, foundations, governments. The target audience and sales processes look different, but the suite of products are similar.